Monday, March 12, 2007

Budding

Today really was the first day of spring. And I want to put it on record. There, it is done.

Budding trees and bushes, budding green colour of the grass... and budding smiles in the awakening faces of all the people out there greeting the sun. The jacket came off, I put my pale nose in the direction of the sun with the fervour of a sunflower, and the sun rewarded me with turning it just a little red. April may be the cruellest month, but this year March is doing pretty well.

Cycling in the sun is happiness. And I went for a tour of my city - deciding to cycle all around it on the outskirts. I found entirely new areas (it's obviously been a while) and even old roads that I cannot recall having been on before, and was left with the contented satisfaction of an explorer on a mission. The whole thing only took a couple of hours. Lund is of a managable size in a way that Dublin is not. Of course, the smaller size severely limits the potential for getting lost - something I love doing. Most importantly, however, was the sense of community with everyone I cycled past who smiled back at me; a sense of community between people out there greeting the March sun...

No comments: